The Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office is seeking a Staff Attorney to prosecute Magistrate Court offenses. Under limited supervision of General Counsel, the Staff Attorney will be responsible for prosecuting all Magistrate level offenses; negotiating cases and plea agreements; conducting bench and jury trials; presenting motions, pleadings, and arguments in court; and interviewing witnesses, police officers, victims, and others. Deals courteously and effectively with fellow employees and citizens.
- Review and prepare for prosecution, all Magistrate level arrests cited by the Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office Deputies.
- Meet with officers monthly to review cases.
- Train and teach Beaufort County Sheriff’s Deputies regarding case preparation, testimony and general court procedures.
- Interview victims and witnesses involved in magistrate level arrests.
- Conduct pre-trial conferences with officers and Defense Attorneys.
- Negotiate plea agreements.
- Prosecute bench and jury trials.
- Maintain a calendar of pre-trial conferences with charging deputies.
- Track and maintain statistics on the conviction rate.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Juris Doctorate degree from an ABA accredited law school;
- Candidates must be admitted to practice law in South Carolina (member of South Carolina Bar).
- Have met 403 requirements.
- Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license for South Carolina with safe driving record.
- Knowledge of pertinent Federal, State laws, and City ordinances.
- Knowledge of judicial procedures and the rules of evidence, principles, methods of legal research.
- Skills to draft legal documents, prepare, present and argue cases effectively in court.
- Skill in using mainframe systems and personal computers including Word and Excel.
- Skill in excellent communication, both oral and written.
- Skill in the operation of all basic office equipment.
Ability to exercise discretion and judgment in interpreting and adapting guidelines (or laws/statute).
- Ability to multi-task and work independently.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality in performing duties and protects operations by keeping information confidential.