Forensic Scientist Position
Under the direction of the Forensic Drug Identification Technical Leader:
- Uses scientific testing procedures to analyze evidence in order to determine the presence of controlled substances.
- Prepares accurate and precise notes and technical reports.
- Testifies as an expert witness regarding the scientific conclusions obtained from analysis.
- Provides technical assistance to members of law enforcement and the criminal justice community.
- Performs maintenance, calibration, and quality control on scientific instruments.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Possess a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university in one of the natural sciences or closely related field; and possess at least four years’ experience as a qualified forensic scientist specializing in Drug Identification or comparable experience.
- College coursework must include 20 hours of chemistry, including two semesters of general chemistry with laboratory, two semesters of organic chemistry, and one semester of organic chemistry laboratory.
*An organic chemistry laboratory that is integrated into a 4- or 5-hour organic chemistry course will satisfy the laboratory requirement.
*Survey or introductory coursework intended for non-chemistry majors will not satisfy the above requirements.
*Both overall academic record and applicable job experience will be factors for consideration; however, prior job experience will not replace the minimum academic requirement.
- Six or more years of experience as a qualified forensic scientist specializing in Drug Identification.
- Advance degree in Chemistry or related scientific field.
American Board of Criminalistics Certification.
- Knowledge of laboratory information management systems (LIMS).
$65,000 – $80,000
Contingent upon related work experience and qualifications.
The following materials are required:
- Curriculum vitae
- All application and employment documents listed at the Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office employment website; available for download here.
Submit All Materials
Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office
Recruiting and Staffing Unit
Attn: Staff Sergeant Patrick N. Rowell
Post Office Box 1758
Beaufort, South Carolina 29901
September 30, 2022