During natural disaster or other state of emergency events, price gouging can occur. This refers to businesses that charge exorbitant prices for necessities due to an increase in demand typically around the time of a severe weather event.
If you feel that you have been the victim of price-gouging, here are some steps you can take:
- Note the time, place, address, and name of the gas station
- Write down the price you paid
- Note any prices nearby and get the same information on those stations
- Take pictures that identify the station and price
- Provide your name and contact information
Contact the South Carolina Attorney General’s Office at [email protected] or 803-737-3953 if you have witnessed a violation. The S.C. Attorney General’s Office will need this information to conduct a thorough investigation.