Lieutenant Renita L. Berry
Joined the Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office in 2001.
Originally from Bowman, S.C.
Lieutenant Renita L. Berry is Director of the Forensic Services Laboratory and a Forensic Chemist at the Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office. She is responsible for the daily operations of the laboratory and activities of the staff. Lieutenant Berry also ensures that the Sheriff’s Office laboratory meets accreditation requirements of ISO/IEC 17025:2017. As a Forensic Chemist, she is responsible for the chemical analysis and identification of suspected illegal drugs and controlled and dangerous substances.
Prior to joining the Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office, Lieutenant Berry worked as a Drug Chemist at the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) in the Drug Identification Department of the Forensic Services Laboratory from 1998-2001. While at SLED, she received her Class I Law Enforcement Officer Certification and initial training as a Drug Chemist.
- Webster University
Master of Arts in Management
- University of South Carolina
Bachelor of Science in Chemistry
- South Carolina Army National Guard
- Forensic Management Academy Management Training Course
West Virginia University
- Controlled Substance Analysis Certification of Competency
SLED Forensic Chemistry Department
- Forensic Chemist Seminar
Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA)
- Numerous discipline and leadership training opportunities
- Named South Carolina Deputy of Year by the South Carolina Sheriff’s Association in 2010
- Awarded the J. Edgar Hoover Foundation Award for Excellence in Law Enforcement in 2003
- American Society of Crime Laboratory Directors
- Southern Association of Forensic Scientists
- American Academy of Forensic Sciences
- American National Standards Institute-American Society of Quality National Accreditation Board (ANAB)
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.
Upsilon Omega Omega Chapter
Campbell Chapel AME Church