Proudly Serving the Citizens of Beaufort County, South Carolina

For emergencies, call 9-1-1.

2021 Atlantic hurricane season has begun

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Hurricane Season 2021

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association predicts another above-normal Atlantic hurricane season.

According to their website, forecasters predict a 60% chance of an above-normal season, a 30% chance of a near-normal season, and a 10% chance of a below-normal season. However, experts do not anticipate the historic level of storm activity seen in 2020. 

Unpacking NOAA’s hurricane predictions

  • NOAA predicts a likely range of 13 to 20 named storms with winds of 39 mph or higher:
  • Of the named storms, 6 to 10 could become hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or higher)
  • 3 to 5 major hurricanes categories 3, 4 or 5 with winds of 111 mph or higher